"'Precisely,' he said, 'precisely.' And he really seemed to mean it." - Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everythin

The way to do research is to attack the facts at the point of greatest astonishment."

40% of India Inc employees do not
trust their bosses, reveals survey

75% says the expectation of the management is unrealistic
 

Thesynergyonline Economics Bureau

NEW DELHI, AUGUST 10 :
The top management acts as the anchor in the organisational hierarchy. Their duty is to protect the integrity of the organisation, so that it can survive for its own employees, the shareholders, suppliers and for the general good of the social and economic system within which it operates. In a survey by JobBuzz, a company rating platform powered by TimesJobs, we asked the lower hierarchy managers and employees to rate their top management. Below are the ratings for each segment and the expected scope of improvement.

Rating the top management

According to the study, nearly 25 per cent of India Inc. employees have rated the management's leadership skills as excellent. For 35 per cent employees the leadership skills are satisfactory and for 40 per cent of the employees, the top management leadership skills are poor. About 40 per cent of India Inc. employees have the necessary resources to meet the targeted output and the remaining 60 per cent do not have the access to the required resources. About 20 per cent of the company uses the available resources effectively and 80 per cent companies are not even considered resourceful. According to our survey, only 5 per cent India Inc. employees are satisfied with their level of interaction with the top management and rest 95 per cent employees were unsatisfied with the interaction level.

"An indoor man eats nothing, except that which is prepared and served by his mother with lots of insults, an outdoor man eats that which he buys, prepares, served and eaten with lots of respect." Michael Bassey Johnson

Managing employee concerns and problems

According to our research, only 10 per cent problems of the employees are excellently handled at the top management level. Rest 90 per cent of problems are mishandled by top management. Out of these problems, only 10 per cent problems are addressed by the top management to the best of their ability and remaining 90 per cent are not even bothered about the employee concerns. About 35 per cent top managements are effective in public relations and nearly 65 per cent have poor public relation skills. Considering the work culture across various organisations, only 25 per cent have well organised flexible working culture. In 45 per cent workplaces, the flexible work culture is poorly managed and in 30 per cent places, they do not have a flexible work culture. We asked India Inc. employees about the improvement scope in the top management.

For 35 per cent, the workplace flexibility can be improved, for 25 per cent employees the compensation scheme should be improved and for 20 per cent professionals the work environment can be developed. Nearly 15 per cent would like to amend the leadership style with which the top management works.

Role of the top management in an organization

Top-level management determines broad strategic strokes for the organisation in general, and focus on the big picture. It is them who encourages the entire team to work together and derive the desired results. Another key focus area for them is 'stress management'.

"The top management effectively deals with all elements and forces that affect the survival, stability and growth of an organisation. Most of us experience stress when we feel lack of control over the events in our lives. It is important for the top management to manage their own stress, to create a less stressful work environment for the employees and make businesses strive. The top management can help reduce stress among the employees by setting clear goals, offering flexible work ambience and by creating a better understanding of business goals," says Ramathreya Krishnamurthi, Business Head, TimesJobs.